Who Wants a Sweater in Laceweight?

Me!

I love light weight sweaters that I can wear all year long. (Hmm. Maybe this is why I love shawls so much) Knitting sweaters out of laceweight? Outside of some periods in my life when I weirdly rationalized that knitting complex cabled sweaters out of laceweight was economical from a yarn $ used/time metric, (logically, it makes sense. But we all know that these projects are very likely to end up in the UFO pile), I haven’t ventured into laceweight sweater crafting in quite some time.

Well. I’ve finished a laceweight sweater. It is out of Wollmeise Lacegarn, so it is a heavy lace (and some may say it’s really fingering), but it is laceweight nonetheless.

The sweater is Laar, by Gudrun Johnston.

I love Gudrun Johnston’s designs because there seems to always be an element of the classic Shetland in her designs. I’ve written about Flukra, which may be the single most worn shawl in my wardrobe (I really need to knit another), and I have been swatching for Audrey In Unst for months now. (OT, but should I knit it in DK or fingering? That is the question.)

I have been staring at Laar for about a year. The one thing that held me back was that I was convinced that this sweater was way too girly for me. It’s got an empire waist, pleats at the waist, picot edging, a lace bodice….all kinds of girly.

But I decided a bit of girly would be good in my wardrobe, but since I am no longer a young girly, I decided to modify it a bit. (OK, maybe a lot.)

  1. Decreased the pleating at the waist. I wasn’t sure if a baby-doll shape would look good on me, so I wanted the sweater to have more of an A-line silhouette. This had one very positive effect of decreasing the amount of stockinette fabric I had to knit.
  2. Increased the garter edging after the picot. I thought that this would take the emphasis off the picots as it became a smaller part of the overall edging. This also let me raise the neckline a bit, and also gave me a bit more stable edging to help the fabric from curling up at the bottom.
  3. Increased the length of the stockinette portion of the sweater. I’ve noticed that Gudrun seems to like cropped sweaters. I have a longer torso, so I wanted to make sure that the sweater came to slightly below my hip bone.
  4. Increased the twisted rib in between the stockinette and the lace portions of the sweater. I just thought this looked better 🙂
  5. Increased the lace panel portion of the sweater in order to make a deeper armhole. I think the style of this sweater was for the sleeves to be very fitted. I do not like being constricted in the underarm area, nor do I like tight sleeves. So while I kept the construction of the short rowed sleeve cap, I made the sleeves a lot more relaxed. I am actually quite picky about this and have a tendency, if I am to rip back a sweater to redo something about it, to make sure the sleeves fit properly.
  6. Picot bind-off on the buttonhole panel. I just thought it was strange that this was the only edge that was showing on the sweater without a picot edging.

I have yet to road test this sweater, but I think I like my new girly addition to my wardrobe!!

6 comments
  1. Gail said:

    Very pretty. And a whole sweater in lace weight! I am impressed!

    • Thank you! It really wasn’t too bad after getting through the initial sea of stockinette (it’s a bottom up construction).

  2. Sri said:

    Lovely! And I forgot all about Flukra – I outta make one out of my Elysium….

  3. Nancy said:

    Great job, and I love the alterations you made to the pattern.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: